No one is in a more righteous position to speak to his children than a father. The word righteous means “being in the right position, being in the right place, being right hearted”. As God has designed the very nature of humanity, men are designed in God’s plan to lead their children. How can a father lead his children if he doesn’t speak to them? How can a man be active as a father to his children if he doesn’t use the power of the tongue to affect their lives?
In one of my recent podcasts, I was speaking with a pastor who has four children. I responded to a question he asked me concerning the marketing of my children’s book series “Papa Tom’s Tales” by mentioning that I saw the buyers of my books were women. I mentioned that the market for my books appeared to be grandmothers and mothers, as they were the ones who purchased children’s books. Our discussion took an unusual turn, when this young father told me that he was the one who purchased all the books that came into his home including the children’s books. He felt it was his responsibility to read every book that he would allow into his home. In fact, he loved reading books to his children. The interaction of his children sitting on his lap or next to him on the couch was a priceless experience. The interaction that occurred between his children and himself could not be duplicated any other way. He made it very clear that digital books did not offer the same experience for him or his children. Hard copy, physical books that were well written and beautifully illustrated with substantive truth contained in them were required. He was particularly interested in teaching his children as a result of the questions his children would ask him as they were prompted by ideas presented in the books a father reads to them.
It is consistent with the Father’s Heart to activate in a man’s heart the desire to be a father. This desire will lead him to want to provide, protect and mentor (teach) his children. Reading good books to children is a primary way for a father to activate his fatherliness.
Visualize the effect of using one’s tongue to read out loud words that change the atmosphere of a home as the energy released by the words a man’s speaks takes hold of the minds and hearts of his children. What a powerful picture that is!
The action step of reading to a child is consistent with the theme of The Father’s Heart Media: bringing the hearts of the fathers to the children and the hearts of the children to the fathers. What would be the effect on the culture if fathers began to purchase their children’s books and begin to read to them? We are living in the greatest Age of Deception the world has ever seen. Who is in the best position to train up a child in the way they should go if not the father? How better way can father train up a child other than reading to them?
This conversation moved me so much that I have decided to take the following steps:
- I am writing articles and blogs to present the idea of fathers reading to their children. Even men who desire to be fatherly can read to children.
- I am creating podcast content to raise awareness of the power of reading to our children, particularly fathers however any family member is a positive experience; mothers, older siblings, grandparents etc.
- I am committing myself to spend my time, energy and money to offer additional children’s books that I have personally reviewed on my website: thefathersheartmedia.com so that I can help Dad’s purchase books that will have a positive affect on their children. For example, Kobi Yamada offers exceptional books that will inspire a child’s imagination (an adult’s imagination too!).
- I will accelerate the production of new books in the Papa Tom’s Series.
- I will offer a discount to father’s who purchase our books (Mom’s and grandmother’s may have to prime the pump here by purchasing a book and give it to a father to read so he can catch the experience of reading to his children).
I hope you enjoyed this article. Whatever the future holds for you on your journey through this earth experience, I pray you will learn to enjoy reading to children. It is a powerful experience for both the reader and the listener. The key is to find the right reading material that will bring love and truth into the lives of both the reader and the listener.
The purpose of The Father’s Heart Media is to create content that will positively affect lives by giving them connection to other people and hopefully, their hearts may be touched by God the Father as well.